Sunday, May 10, 2009

Direct Acid Cheese

Dear Georgia,
I should know by now that authors and publishers are normal people and can be nice(after all, half my family seems to be authors, illustrators, or publishers and I think you are pretty nice), but it always seems to surprise me when I bump into it again.
This recipe comes directly from a book called Natural Meals In Minutes by Rita Bingham. When I was preparing for my Relief Society demonstration I emailed her publisher and asked for permission to reprint the recipe in the hand out I was making. And THEY SAID YES! Wow!
As my public thank you to them, let me recommend their book! I do so highly. It is a great book for taking the long term storage off the shelf and using it on a regular basis. You can find it here: www.naturalmeals.com



Start with two cups of water



This is usually what I use to measure 2 cups of liquid



You will also need 1 1/2 cups of powdered milk




And 3 tablespoons of lemon juice
I actually just use the juice from 1 lemon so I don't have halves hanging about.




Mix the water and milk powder in a pot
Warm over medium heat.



Have a sweet pair of helping hands squeeze the lemon
Thank you Lily. My hands have been pretty scratched lately from pruning the rose bushes.


Now the tricky part -- there are no pictures because you have to pour and stir at the same time. Only 2 hands here.


Pour the lemon juice around the edges of the pot and stir it into the warm milk.

It will start to curdle and look pretty gross.



A better shot at gross




Now let it rest for a couple of minutes
The curds will start to separate from the whey.



Drain your curds



Now rinse them. First with warm water, and then with cold water to firm them up.


You can mix them with a little yogurt or buttermilk for a cottage-cheese-like mixture. It is actually great as a cottage cheese substitute.
Or you can compress the curds in a strainer with a weight on top (a small plate with a couple of cans on top) to make a fresh semi-soft "farmer's cheese".

Here is a great video of the whole process. She uses white vinegar and homogenized milk, but it is the same process.





Enjoy!



5 comments:

  1. Dear Heidi,

    I am your everloving lemming.

    xoxoxo (proof),
    Geo

    ReplyDelete
  2. how is this different from ricotta? Or is it ricotta? (not essentially ricotta, but actually ricotta)

    ox, Joh

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ricotta is a much finer, sweeter curd. It is made from cooking (what ricotta means -- recooking) the whey of other chesses. That is the next episode. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. oops! I mean the episode after the next. Next up is powdered milk mozzarella. Yummm...

    ReplyDelete