Friday, October 1, 2010

Haycorns










Dear Georgia,

It's been a while since I have written you one of these letters and there is too much to try to catch up on so I will just jump in on today.

Today I am wearing a new piece of jewelry- autumn treasure on my wrist. The trees in front of our school are dropping these so fast that it sounds like rain. What would the farmers almanac predict for a winter that was preceded by a bumper-crop of acorns?

It seemed like a waste to just let these green pearls get stepped on and cursed by the school custodian as she sweeps them off the sidewalk. So we collected a whole slew of them.

Last time we gathered acorns was around the corner from you, and I am sure you remember the mess we made of mum's front walk as we tried to peel them and roast them. These little beauties don't have enough meat in them to make it worth the process, but they are just the right size for beads.








Drill carefully! And use a teeny weeny drill.










We found that drilling top to bottom allows you to keep the corns and the cap together without using glue. Sideways sometimes pops their hats off.

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone


1 comment:

  1. Sideways, sometimes I pop my hat off too. Totally understandable.

    What a beautiful bracelet! I want one! This idea seems far more practical than making oak tree flatbread.

    Now, what can you make with aphids? That's the bumper crop we're dealing with here.

    Love you! Sorry I didn't see this sooner. Google Reader and I have been redefining our relationship. xoxo

    ReplyDelete