Sunday, April 5, 2009

Ox Cart Man


Ox-cart Man is a book by Donald Hall, and illustrated by Barbara Cooney.  It is worth the trip to the library to look at it.  It is a lovely story about a self sufficient family, who are happy in their work.  It makes me nostalgic for a time that I never lived in.  
When my husband and I first read the book we would dream of being that family in their simple work filled world, and gentle joy.  
Over time, we have moved from place to place, picking up skills, and stretching our abilities due to necessity.  We now live on a small hobby farm (it is so small I don't know if it merits the term farm at all) in Upstate NY with our family and enjoy our attempts at self sufficiency.  It is a very good thing we aren't dependant on those attempts -- we wouldn't survive long.  I thought a blog might be a convenient place to record our errors, so you won't have to make the same mistakes we did.  I think recipes,  patterns, and projects might work here too.
I am not organized or creative or photographically inclined enough to have this be a design site, or a wonder-mama site, or a foodie site, or anything else so cool (I just read those, not produce them) and there won't be anything on here that you can't find in other places.    Just a place to record my own ox-cart tracks.


http://www.amazon.com/Ox-Cart-Man-Donald-Hall/dp/0140504419

6 comments:

  1. It's always an honor to follow in your footsteps, Heidi.

    And now I have the smug honor of being your first commenter! (And first subscriber?)

    I'm excited about your blog! xoxoxoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. me too, I'm excited about it! Heidi, it's the perfect name, and a beautiful intro--can't wait to see more. Can I make a request? I'd love to see how you make your potato patches and how you teach kids to knit.

    oxoxox! Bravo!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the nice words and encouragement. Joh, I have started posts about the potato patches and the kids knitting but it will be a bit before I get them up. I will email you when they are ready.
    xo
    h

    ReplyDelete
  4. how has oxcart mom been up for almost a year and i have been completely in the dark? this makes me sad but what a treat to discover and read through every post tonight! you are amazing heidi, really.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ahh... Thank you. I am sorry that I didn't tell any one. I didn't know what I was doing or even if I was going to keep doing it, and announcing it seemed too permanent. How Georgia found me is beyond me, but when she did I started writing my posts to her and it made it easier. I still can't fathom how you women do all the amazing things you do AND find time to take pictures and blog about it.
    I am sorry for making you feel left out. That wasn't my intention. Just hiding myself because I felt naked.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Heidi, this comment answers my more recent comment on today's post and I can relate to it being easier when you imagine writing to someone specific. I do that mentally a lot. I don't feel left out so much as obtuse (not a new feeling for me) and overjoyed to have found you!

    ReplyDelete